Monday, November 16, 2009

Give a Hoot Beanie

I just learned how to make an owl cable and wanted to try it out. I had some of this great green heather cascade 220 left over from a baby sweater that was just enough for a beanie. If you want to try your hand at an owl cable beanie the pattern is written out below and it is pretty simple and fast.

Materials
120 yrds worsted weight yarn
US 8 16" circular needle
1 set on US 8 dpns
2 small buttons
Stitch marker

Hat:
Cast on 80 Stitches, place marker and join work being careful not to twist the cast on row.
Work in 2x2 rib till brim measures 2"
Purl all stitches for two rounds
R3: Purl 25 sts, Knit 8 sts, Purl to stitch marker
R4: Purl All sts
R5: Purl 25 sts, C4B, C4F, Purl to stitch marker
R6-12: Purl 25 sts, Knit 8 sts, Purl to stitch marker
R13: Purl 25 sts, C4B, C4F, Purl to stitch marker
R14-18: Purl 25, Knit 8, Purl to stitch marker
R19: Purl 25, C4B, C4F, Purl to stitch marker

Now you should see a little owl perched on your hat.
Work in reverse St st till hat measures 6 1/2"

Hat decreases
R1: *Purl 8 sts, P2tog* repeat *to*
R2: Purl all sts
R3: *Purl 7, P2tog* repeat *to*
R4: Purl all sts
R5: *Purl 6, P2tog* repeat *to*
R6: Purl all sts
R7: *Purl 5 sts, P2tog* repeat *to*
Place stitches on dpns and continue with decreases
R8: Purl all sts
R9:*Purl 4 sts, P2tog* repeat *to*
R10: *Purl 3 sts, P2tog* repeat *to*
R11: *Purl 2 sts, P2tog* repeat *to*
R12: *Purl 1 sts, P2tog* repeat *to*
R13: *P2tog*


You should now only have 4 sts remaining, using a darning needles thread yarn end through the last 4 sts and pull closed. Weave in all end.

Sew two small buttons on owl cable for eyes. As pictured below.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super cute! Thanks for sharing - this will make a great Christmas gift for a couple people I know.

Runs off to hunt through the stash...

Anonymous said...

This is such a great hat! I love the owl cable. I think it has lots of application possibilities! Thanks for the pattern! In knitting....Lisa

Carmen Rigby-Willson said...

I love your hat! I went to the thrift store and sought out a specific green sweater in order to repurpose the yarn. I'll be posting the photos on Ravelry once I finish. :)

Thank you!
Carmen

Anonymous said...

in row 5 when you start using cables do you put the 4 stiches on another needle then finish the row and pick them back up in the next row i don't understand that part

BlueBetty said...

to do the c4b in row 5 you put your first 2 stitches on a cable needle or DPN and let the needle hang behind your work then knit the next two stitches, then knit the stitches from the cable needle.

the c4f is similar, but instead of letting your cable needle hang to the back or your work you will let it hang to the front.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this lovely pattern! I've made two for x-mas presents and they have been very well received.
I seem to get better (stretchier) results if I use two strands of yarn and size 7 needles.
Thanks again!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Love the hat! I'm new to knitting but am an experienced crocheter (is that a word?:) I have #3 weight yarn that I really want to use. Do you think the difference between a #3 & #4 yarn weight really changes the pattern size that much? Also, my daughter's head is a little larger than the average adult. How does the size of your hat compare to the average head? Thanks so much.

BlueBetty said...

the weight of the yarn shouldn't be an issues as long as you use a needles that gives you four and a half stitchs to an inch. As that is the guage of the yarn and needles I used. This hat fit6s and average adults head if you want to add a few inches add about 9 to 18 stitches to make the hat larger.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the info!! Hope you are having a great holiday season. :)

Sheri said...

I've seen this "owl" cable in a few places on hats since I saw your hat. Yours if by far the cutest. Great job! I made one for my best friend and one for myself. I have worn mine almost daily for the last two weeks! I love this hat! Thank you thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm knitting this into a chemo cap for a friend of mine - it's fantastic! I just have one ques. re. c4b and c4f. In the c4b, do you slip the stitches off as purls (back to front) and in c4f slip them off as knits? Does it matter?
Thanks

BlueBetty said...

You want to slip those stitches purl wise hope that helps.

sfrieson said...

Whee! I just made this Owl Beanie for a good friend of mine. It turned out amazingly cute! Thank you very much for sharing your great pattern. I think the next time I make it I'm going to add the word "HOOT" to the back of the hat in knit stitches. Thanks again for the pattern! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to knit this with size 6 circular needles with baby yarn and have it come out okay?

BlueBetty said...

Yes and no, you can knit this with a different size yarn and needle, but you will be changing the gauge. If you want the hat to be smaller than what is written they you won't have to do anything. If you want the hat to be the same size then you will need to add some stitches I suggest adding 10 to 20 stitches if that is the case.

blogbyday said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Can this pattern be in crochet.

Unknown said...

agen sabung ayam online terbaik