Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy July

I have a lot to put to page this blog post and might not have enough time to do so. Me Made June '11 is over and while my camera broke and I wasn't able to update what I was wearing I did try to finish out the month. Being at camp though it got tricky and I mostly resorted to wearing my navy athletic shorts and cotton jersey pencil skirt in lavender.

How do I feel about having completed this challenge? It made me have to go outside of my comfort zone in sewing. I made my first pair of pants that weren't meant for PJ's, I also made my first garment with out the use of a pattern and just my measurements. This challenge has made me a better seamstress. I was wearing my lavender skirt yesterday and noticed that my hemming was straighter than when I started this challenge. I am more confident when I start out making a garment and I feel that I am ready to take on more difficult projects, (like the Lady Gray).

This challenge has also ruined my outlook on ready to wear, none of it fits! I would rather make my own t-shirt than buy one that doesn't really fit me right. Maybe it's my high natural waist or my broad shoulders, but even though I am small ready wear clothes don't actually fit me right. I have a theory that ready wear doesn't actually fit anyone.

One thing that this challenge did not help me do was figure out my style. This is proving difficult. I would like to me a bit more put together, but I am stuck in a casual rut. I do however have a plan for the fall on being more fab, but this is too early to go on about that. To help with this I have made a Pintrest account and as of right now there isn't much, but I have high hopes for after camp, as well as some sewing plans.

My advice to someone looking to start making their own clothes, is to start small. Start with altering a t-shirt, then learn how to make a tote bag on a sewing machine, then try a simple pattern and build up your skills. If you take small bites you will be sewing in no time.

For some fun and easy t-shirt alterations check out Megan Nicolay's blog Generation T. She has great tutorials and if you want more of her designs she has two books out Generation T:108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt, and Generation T: Beyond Fashion: 120 New Ways to Transform a T-Shirt.

No comments: