Friday, January 28, 2011

Nerdcore

Nerdcore: is a sub-genre of hip hop characterized by themes and subject matter considered to be of general interest to nerds, though it can appeal to others as well. (I consider myself one of the others.)

Last night I went to a Nerdcore show at Triumph Brewing Co. in old city. Specifically to see Zilla Persona (aka my friend Justin). ECOMOG, and King Pheenix also performed last night, but I'm going to be that guy and say I was really there to see Zilla. The other groups were good, but I'm a bit bias when it comes to Nerdcore. Other than being friends with Zilla I like his style, his lyrics are fun (even for us non geeks) and every song is well crafted. I think my favorite thing about Zilla is his energy on stage and his ability to draw in the audience, making you feel like you are part of the show.

Not being a nerd (ok maybe a little) I don't really get a few songs (especially the one based on League of Legends), but I do love Zilla's tracks "Clubbin", "Energy", and my all time favorite "This is Not a Track". All of which Zilla preformed last night. I highly suggest checking Zilla Persona out (his is a cutie in his hat and glasses) but really check out his website, and listen to some tracks, and decide for yourself.

Zilla Preforming at Triumph

All in all a great show (except for the guy who kept yelling pants), good beer and look I even got dice. Which I need for an upcoming knitting pattern that's in the works, not for a D&D campaign.

My very own dice, a 6, 10, and a 12

I took video of one of my favorites!


Zilla Persona's latest LP is titled "You Wouldn't Think" and is available through itunes.

No comments: