Thursday, April 26, 2012

30 before 30 April '12 Update

At the beginning of the month I shared a list of 30 goals for myself to accomplish before I turn 30.  I have started on some of those goals, some are in progress, some have succeed, and I've even failed at one attempt.

In progress.

#18. Simon and I have planted seeds and bought a tomato plant (who is taking over the window) to grow some of our own produce this summer.  We know that if nothing else we will have a butt load of Swiss Chard as it has sprouted and is about 4-5 inches tall already.  You can also see that my giant tomato plant has flowered, but he is none too happy with the chilly weather we've been having.  We also planted cucumbers, green beans and sweet peppers.


# 12. I have also started dyeing again.  This is super exciting for me and I can't wait to really dive in and get Alchemy Hour truly set up.

# 27. Another accomplishment is that I might have a summer wardrobe full of hand made and altered items.  I'm going to be participlating in Me Made May '12 and put this to the test and see if I have a complete enough wardrobe to only wear garments I've made or altered for the month of May

Completed:

#17. I have sewn a pair of jeans.  Trouser jeans, but hey they are jeans!

Anita by Burda Style
I was so tickled with the out come of sewing my trouser jeans that I have purchased the Anita pattern from Burda Style and found some great denim with just a touch of crosswise stretch to sew another pair of jeans.  This time skinny jeans.

Failed:
#13. Ok I tried my hand at cooking tofu this month and while I am good at cooking lots of other things I will admit to not having any clue as to how to prepare tofu.  I thought I had figured it out.  I drained and pressed a lot of the liquid out, I used extra firm, and I even seasoned it and seared it in my cast iron pan so it was crispy on the edges.  None of this helped with the weird tofu taste or the spongy center.  I even put it in curry so it would have a fragrant and heavily spiced sauce, but this did nothing for the tofu.  So far the only way I like tofu is deep fried from the Chinese take out place.

For the month of May I am only really planing one thing.  Eve 6 is coming to town and I am going to go see them by hook or by crook.

No comments: