Friday, June 8, 2012

For the Love of Philly: Headhouse Farmers' Market

Growing up in a small town we always got seasonal produce from local farmers.  Some of them are family friends and other times you just find a veggie stand at the side or the road at the corn of a field that would be filled with good things like tomatoes, peppers, green beans, and later in the summer corn.  Living in Philly my options are a lot different from that of my childhood, but this brings me to my new favorite place to visit on Sunday morning, the Headhouse Farmers' Market.  It's the best of both, located between Lombard St. and South St. on 2nd St.

There are tons of vendors to choose from and I love chatting with the farmers about there produce and farms.  Last week I saw radishes, peas, three varieties or turnips, beets, zucchini, squash, apples, tomatoes, strawberries, all sorts of varieties of lettuce.  My market bag is always full when I leave the market.

Along with produce that farmers bring there are a few other vendors that sell there goods.  You can find two farmers to by fresh cage free eggs from. there are too different cheese vendors one is cows milk cheese the other is goat milk cheese (my fave), there are bakers and florists, and a a few plant nurseries too.

The Market opens bright ans early on Sunday morning at 10am and goes to 2pm.  I suggest going early to get the best pick of the produce.


No comments: