Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Trousers: The Waist Band

I am in the home stretch of my latest sewing project.  All the major elements are complete and so far they look like the picture.  I spent the last few days sewing in the zipper and attaching the waist band.  Here's what that looked like:

Sewing the pieces together was easy peasy.

This is where is got a bit harder mostly because there was a slight curve to the edge of the pattern pieces.

All sewn on, now it was time to attach the lining piece.

I am not sold on the way the pattern has you construct the waist band.  Next time I make this patter (and oh yes, there is going to be a next time, I've already purchased the fabric) I'm going to do this very differently.

Top pinned together ready for top stitching.  This was the part of the directions I would have done differently.  I would change how you start and end sewing the waist band to the pants, but I think the way I want to do it will be easier and create a cleaner line.  Mostly I would sew the top of the outer pieces and the lining together and then stitch the top piece to the pants.  Then I would attach the lining to the pants either by hand or with a top stitch.

There it is all top stitched, and pressed, now all I have to do is the finishing bits.
Here's that list:
-sew button holes in waist band
-sew buttons on waist band
-sew buttons on back flaps
-hem

Not too shabby I think these are going to be completed right on schedule.

No comments: